Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cranberry

I can already tell that attempting to do this daily won't work. I spent over an hour on the phone working on nonprofit related things, which ate into my time but was good because I really love the people I work with there.

Today I'm taking something of a low hanging fruit topic. I haven't talked much about my food allergies, even though they play a significant role in my life. I got the results of my blood test back in January of 2013, and started cutting food out in February.

I don't really exercise much. I walk a bit, but that's about it. I don't count calories. I went from 176lbs to 143lbs.

First off, it's worth noting that there are different kinds of food allergies. I have what's known as IgG allergies, which means I have an immune system reaction, but do not have a full out reaction that puts me in danger.

Reports vary on the effectiveness of the testing; it's possible to test positive for something, but it won't have an effect on you. What was recommended to me by my doctor was to cut everything out for a few weeks, then try adding stuff back in. I've mostly just left stuff out, because it wasn't hard for me to adjust.

It's worked out really well for me. I'll probably talk more about it later, but for now, I thought I'd just throw out there what the test came up with.

Level 4: cranberry (… sad is me :( )
Level 3: Baker's yeast, brewer's yeast, casein, cheddar cheese, chicken eggs, crab, duck eggs mozzarella cheese, pecans, sesame seeds, sugar cane, yogurt
Level 2: Cottage cheese, milk, whey, coffee beans, amaranth, spelt, spelt, wheat, mushrooms


I mostly cut the 3-4 stuff out, but did go ahead and cut all cow dairy because they were so related. I cut wheat-type stuff for a while, but to tell you the truth, it's one of my lesser allergies in a pretty decent list. I started eating it again, I'm fine, and still losing weight.

But I seriously miss cranberry juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment