Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Terminally interesting

Going through all the stuff in our house is hard.

Throwing stuff away is easy. I love getting rid of anything I can, giving it away, selling it, throwing it out. I'm not big on keeping a lot of things. The killer is staying on task when there's a whole room full of Potentially Interesting Things. It can be torture on a bad day. While I was cleaning out one of our storage spaces (yes, we have THAT much stuff), I found myself distracted by pictures, old letters, or books. I read almost an entire book from when I was a kid while sitting in the storage space last time. It only took me a half hour because I skimmed it, I only wanted the reminder of what the book was about. That half hour could have been used to get something done, the book brought home to look at later when I wasn't sitting in the storage unit.

The storage unit has been particularly challenging, as the one I've been dealing with has a lot of my possessions from when I was younger. There's nostalgia, stories, moments frozen in time. Horrid letters from my ex talking about things that I don't think I'll ever repeat (how did I ever think that relationship was going to last?). Or maybe a toy that I really liked as a kid. Maybe it's a toy I want to keep. Maybe donate. Maybe it's just broken and it needs to go.

A constant stream of keeping focused, sorting, taking an item, evaluating, moving on. It's pretty hellish when everything is so damned interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment